3.18.2009

What to Look For in Travel Health Insurance

This article is as a response to the plethora of articles and websites out there regarding Travel Health Insurance.

As somebody relatively new to the "insurance" field (i come from a background of life assurance and medical aid), I consider it important to understand what it is, that should be looked for in Travel Health Insurance?

Especially so, as in South Africa, many medical aids cover you for 90 days out of the country (International coverage) for medical expenses. You also get "free" travel insurance from the banks (underwritten by insurance companies) when you buy your travel ticket on your credit card.

So...my first question is "Why do I want to buy Travel Health Insurance?"

In answering that, I would say that it is because I want Certainty that if something happens to myself or my fellow travellers that requires medical treatment, that the cost is borne by my insurance.

Imagine the alternative...being 'stranded' in a strange country, not being able to speak the language and having no Travel Health Insurance!

Not hard to imagine is it?

I would probably have a heart attack from the stress.

So Advantage no. 1 is that I would buy Travel Health Insurance for CERTAINTY.

Then, I would look at the product and ask myself a few further questions:

How much cover do I need?

As the medical event/ accident would be unplanned. How could I possibly answer this, I simply do not know.

So I would want unlimited cover. And to make sure that the insurance company would pay the actual cost of my care (within acceptable reason).

After all, why are there limits on cover? Purely for the insurance company to limit its risk.

Will the insurance company arrange payment directly with the hospital/provider? If I am seriously injured, I am going to want to know that I am being taken care of, without needing to arrange everything myself.

I am at a loss even trying to negotiate with a street vendor!

Then, just in case I am going to a place where the medical care might not be of a high standard...

Will the insurer pay for me to be evacuated to a place where I can be properly cared for?

If necessary, can I be repatriated to my home country?

I also know that when I am travelling that I don't have much in the way of excess money, so I do not want a deductible on my insurance. What would happen if I couldn't pay the deductible?

I like to try different things so I don't want any restrictions on hazardous pursuits, because while I am travelling, I want to be able to enjoy myself (even if it includes a little bungy jumping, skiing or parasailing) and I Do not want to spend my time worrying about my insurance cover.

I hope that this helps when you are looking at buying Travel Health Insurance. The questions are usually answered with different priorities for different people, but it helps to consider them just the same.

Always remember to check your policy conditions and to be happy with them before you travel. However, the more conditions, the more I am put off.

Happy travelling!

Kenny Williamson began his insurance career in the commissions area at Southern Life in 1989. He then fulfilled different roles within the "Agency Field" area

In 2001, Southern Life was amalgamated with Momentum Life and Kenny stayed on to help ensure the smooth transition of the Southern Life Agency Force payroll to Momentum Life. Thereafter, he was contracted to Capital Alliance to help ensure the remainder of the Southern Life Agency force payroll was smoothly integrated there

After the stint at Capital Alliance, he went on sabbatical to Israel and spent time with Mother Nature in a Kibbutz, finishing this with an exploratory trip to Ireland. On his return to South Africa, he became a consultant with Discovery Consulting Services Peninsula, at which he excelled for three and a half years

In 2007, he left to join a brokerage and get 'closer' to the client. He now runs his website http://www.businessowner-cover.com and comments on industry issues

No comments:

Post a Comment